So, the belgian saison brewday went well. 1 concern was my thermometer as my lab thermometer proved faulty last brew. I used my turkey fryer thermometer, and adjusted it as it seemed to be reading the ambient temp high by about 5°. Could have been handled too casually now looking back.
Aimed for 149° mash temp. Base of Belgian Pils malt so I mashed for 90, then boiled for 90 as well, to avoid the DMS precursors. Used 2# rye, 1 # each of dark munich and white wheat, and .5# of flaked oats.
Pitched starter of Wyeast 3724, knowing it could stall. Heavy activity after 12 hrs, lots of krausen for a few days then it all sunk and airlock activity slowed quite a bit. After 1 week, I pitched an smack pack of Wyeast French Saison yeast (3711) which is known to eat through anything and help beers finish quite dry. I figured the first week had given me all the yeast-driven flavors I was going to get from the 3724. The gravity at that point (I’m pulling from memory, as I didn’t seem to write it anywhere at the time) was around 1.048. After a couple days at 74° with the 3711, the top of the beer foamed a bit, and the airlock picked up speed again. Nothing like the initial few days in the fermenter, but a noticeable change.
After 6 days with the 3711 (2 weeks total in carboy) the gravity is 1.036. Airlock bubbling every 13 sec or so. Was hoping it would be much lower after a week with the 3711. Increasing temp to 77 and hoping time heals all… again.